[Beowulf] Help: Raspberry Pi Cluster

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 08:53:49 PST 2012

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Eric Lee <openlinuxsource at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I mentioned in the thread I would like to run some bioinformatics
> applications on it. And using OGS as DRM.

We ported Grid Engine (ie. OGS/GE) to ARM Linux in the GE 2011.11
release, but we haven't encountered huge demands yet. May be when
64-bit ARM finally gets into the mainstream, more people will deploy
ARM HPC clusters.

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/Releases/ReleaseNotesGE2011.11.pdf

> Is that an acceptable project?

Note that the Raspberry Pi does not have ECC memory, which is almost a
standard feature even in low cost servers. Are you going to run each
batch job twice and compare the results to make sure that the memory
was not corrupted when the job was run??

And, if you are looking for FLOPS/$, then any modern x86 processors
can easily beat the Raspberry Pi. If you are looking for FLOPS/W, and
if the problem can be broken down nicely (or else it would suck
running on a large number of Raspberry Pi nodes too), then a single
GPU node can beat the Raspberry Pi in FLOPS/W easily as well.

Rayson