[Beowulf] liquid cooling for HPC

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Dec 5 05:40:31 PST 2012

Dear Jim,

the motherboard is really immersed in this fluorinated liquid which acts as a
heat transfer medium here. This heat is then transferred to the cooling plate
which is where the water channels are coming in. The whole box is sealed so
there should be no escape of the fluorinated liquid here. The only possible
leakage would be the water connectors here. This water is pumped around in a
closed loop and you need a heat exchanger to remove that heat. Here you could
use that heat to heat up a cold corridor etc., similar as you do with a heat
pump in your house.

I hope that clarifies that a bit. Note: all of that is my understanding of the
system as I saw it at the workshop.

All the best

Jörg

Jörg Saßmannshausen