[Beowulf] RFC: Restrict posting to subscribers only ?

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Aug 24 06:01:05 PDT 2012

On 08/24/2012 10:03 PM, Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> Does someone have a figure of how many non-subscribers posts we are
> talking about ? I have the impression that lately I've seen only
> messages coming from "regulars". If non-subscribers post very little,
> then such a change would not be very annoying IMHO.

Well in the 6 hours since I last checked at work there have were over 30
new messages waiting to be processed, of which 1 was from a subscriber
still moderated and 1 was a legitimate post from a non-member
(presumably subscribed at a different address as they replied to my list
post).

The other 30 plus were just spam.

> OTOH, I hope that archives (wherever they are) remain publicly available.

I don't think anyone is planning to change those at all.

http://www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/

> We should be very thankful to Don Becker for doing a wonderful job
> with the list for many years :)

Oh indeed!  Very much so...

All the best,
Chris