[Beowulf] Users abusing screen

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Thu Oct 27 16:37:29 PDT 2011

> nice 'pam_slurm' module which allows a user to login only to those nodes
> on which the said user has active jobs (allocated through slurm). The

I think this is slightly BOFHish, too.  do people actually have problems
with users stealing cycles this way?  the issue is actually stealing,
and we simply tell our users not to steal.  (actually, I don't think we
even point it out, since it's so obvious!)

that means we don't attempt to control (we had pam_slurm installed and
actually removed it.)  after all, just because a user's job is done, it
doesn't mean the user has no reason to go onto that node (maybe there's a
status file in /tmp, or a core dump or something.)

if someone persisted in stealing cycles, we'd lock their account.

regards, mark hahn.