[Beowulf] Intel unveils 1 teraflop chip with 50-plus cores

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 16 09:44:43 PST 2011

Well look everyone here is looking to the part of the machine that is
delivering the 'big punch' which either is the Tesla's or the AMD 6990.

However we shouldn't forget that in its basis each node is a 2 node
intel Xeon machine having 2 intel Xeon cpu's and requires a very fast
network.
The weakness of the network is not only the network, but gets
especially determined by the quality of those 2 cpu's, as they have
to feed the GPU
and more importantly also the network.

Furthermore a part of the software is uncapable of running at GPU's
and has to run on the cpu.

That said the big punch being a Tesla, it's obvious that this can't
be so high clocked like the gamerscards, as it focuses more upon
reliability.

We see recently that the bandwidth transfers one can achieve from CPU
to GPU have tremendeously improved in bandwidth. From 2 GB/s to many
gigabytes
per second now and approaching also a big part of the total bandwidth
the ram CAN deliver.

Suppose we do a big multiplication of some giant prime number using a
safe form of FFT (of course there is specialized forms here that are
faster,
but for readability i call it and not DWT).

Now we can see the FFT as something that in O ( log n ) steps is
doing a number of things. Only in the last few phases of the O ( log
n ) we actually
need communication between all the nodes.

Basically there is nothing that prevents us from doing a double check
of the results at a different GPU, meanwhile we are busy with the
finalizing steps,
as the majority of the GPU's basically idle anyway at that point.

So if we would calculate just a single number, we can rather
efficiently do a double check. of our GPU calculations, as the
crunching power of those things is
much above anything else that it's always ahead of any other step.

Only if you already run other independant calculations at the same
time, you can keep those GPU's busy.

However if you'd run independant calculations, where do you need that
massive huge expensive cluster for, as you could also give each
machine its own number and
just sit and wait until they all finished with it. So that's an
embarrassingly parallel approach where basically it's a JBOM, "just a
bunch of machines".

In order words if we take advantage of the cluster as a whole to
speedup the calculation, then the crucial reliability part of the
calculation gets done by the
CPU's, not by the GPU; it would be easy to give the GPU double
checking time of results previously calculated and a simple
comparision which happens while we
are already some steps further, would occur.

With GPU's you simply do have the system time to double check and you
MUST double check; there is no reason to not buy GPU's with millions
of sustainability demands,
as the reaosn why they're so fast also is the reason why it's cheap
and that's also the reason why you need to double check.

So cheap kick butt GPU's is the way to go for now.