[Beowulf] HP redstone servers

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 8 17:01:47 PST 2011

hi Rayson,

Most interesting stuff.

The question i ask myself. Why is it so expensive?

If i do a silly compare, just looking to the Ghz. Then a quad core
1.4Ghz
is similar to a single core i7 @ 1.5Ghz roughly for Diep. I rounded
up optimistically
the IPC of diep at a single ARM core to 0.5 (if you realize a
bulldozer core gets like 0.73,
you'll realize the problem of this optimistic guess, whereas an i7
core is over 1.73+ ).

Diep being in principle a 32 bits integer program, just 64 bits
compiled for
a bigger caching range (hashtable) of course profits perfectly from ARM.

You won't find  much software that can run better on such ARM cpu's
than a chessprogram.

So 1600 nodes then is like 800 cores 3Ghz i7.

Or a 100 socket machine i7 @ 8 cores a CPU,
or a 128 socket machine i7 @ 6 cores a CPU.

The 6 core Xeons actually are a tad higher clocked than 3Ghz,
but let's forget about that now.

Now getting that with a good network might not be so cheap,
but so to speak there is a budget of far over

1.2 million / 128 = $9375 per socket.
So that 's a 64 node switch and 64 nodes dual socket Xeon.

That gives a budget of $18750 a node. Pretty easy to build i'd say so.
Now performance a watt. Of course something ARM is good at.

With 64 nodes that means 9900 watt / 64 = 154 watt per node.

We can be sure that the Xeon burn more than that.

Yet it's not much more than factor 2 off and everywhere so far i
rounded off optimistically
for the ARM. I took 3Ghz cpu's, in reality they're higher clocked. I
took 6 cores, in reality
they're soon 8 cores a node. I took an IPC of 0.5 for the arm cores,
and we must still see
they will get that IPC, most likely they won't.

So it's nearly on par if we do a real accurate calculation. It's not
like there is much
of a margin in power consumption versus optimized i7 code.

This factor 2 evaporates practical.

Who would anyone be interested in buying this at this huge price with
as far as i can see 0 advantages.