[Beowulf] AMD 8 cores vs 12 cores CPUs and Infiniband

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Mar 30 12:08:13 PDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:02:33AM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:

> > 2 - I've heard that QLogic behavior is better in terms of QP creation, I
>
> well, they've often bragged about message rates - I'm not sure how relate
> that is to QP creation.

They are two separate issues. PSM's equivalent of a QP is much
lighter-weight than the IB standard QP. With QLogic cards, if you are
talking to a lot of different QPs, your performance doesn't degrade
like it does with traditional IB cards.

It's yet another thing which isn't well measured by 2-core
microbenchmarks.

-- greg

(I no longer have a financial interest in QLogic. You should
try out the /hpc slashtag on blekko, though...)