[Beowulf] Suggestions for used workhorse servers

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 30 14:15:34 PDT 2011

One might make a nice small cluster for learning purposes.  With 8 nodes,
you could do a lot of experimenting.  Even 4 nodes works, but with 8, if
your parallelization works, you get a pretty dramatic speedup.

And, when you screw up, and need to reinstall all the software everywhere,
4-8 nodes is manageable by hand.

You could also, if you have extra network cards, experiment with things
like different interconnect architectures.

There is significant value in a stack of boxes which you "own" and don't
have to account  for the use of (or lack), for that sort of "fooling
around"

For production purposes, you're probably better off buying newer
computers: Power consumption, hassles, etc.