[Beowulf] IPv6 and clusters?

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Thu Jun 9 07:17:47 PDT 2011

On 06/09/2011 09:32 AM, Stuart Barkley wrote:
> Yesterday was IPv6 day.
>
> Does IPv6 have any major place in clusters?  Has anyone ever tried an
> IPv6 only cluster?
>
> My thought is that IPv4 is fine for internal cluster networks using
> rfc1918 networks.  I expect the multihomed login/management nodes will
> eventually need IPv6 on the outside interfaces.

The flip-side is that cluster networks are the perfect place for testing
and getting familiar with IPv6 since they are almost always private
networks that are completely isolated from the rest of your network,
except for the master node. I wonder if there are any performance
penalties for IPv6 compared to IPv4.

Prentice