[Beowulf] /dev/random entropy on stateless/headless nodes

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Mon Feb 28 02:27:22 PST 2011

So (from the wiki) piping dumb data into /dev/random is harmless since
the entropy measure wouldn't be fooled, so then yes, just anyone can
pipe some bytes in anytime. So yeah, the rtdsc, I just meant my 9 digits
of nanoseconds as something easy to try at boot time, and shuffling that
with the MAC is a good idea. (Since a light-nanosecond is about what 10
cm? the lengths of cables in the server room would be enough to give
every node different boot times, in nanoseconds, right? or no, because
your cables are all standard lengths, but coiled as needed?).

Me Sir! Please! Me Sir!

As a cub high energy physicist, in the 'counting room' for an experiment
one day, my supervisor was discussing coaxial delay lines with me.

Light travels at a foot per nanosecond, so that enables you to choose
appropriate lengths of coax delay lines for coincidence counting
experiments.

Sigh - I guess we have gone all metric since then with 10cm per
nanosecond!

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.