[Beowulf] thunderbolt?

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Thu Feb 24 22:08:36 PST 2011

anyone have non-vapid info about thunderbolt?
I can't really figure it out - it appears to be somewhat dumbed down
(not even as network-like as USB).  is the advantage that it's
supposed to be cheap (compared to 10G ethernet, I suppose)?
or cooler (10GT is down to <10W, isn't it?)

the mention of it transporting PCIE makes me wonder whether it might
actually be interesting for HPC.  that is, if it becomes standard for
every cheap motherboard to have a few ports, and you can do RDMA over it...

thanks, mark hahn