[Beowulf] 9 traits of the veteran Unix admin

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Feb 18 08:54:51 PST 2011

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011, Bill Rankin wrote:

>> Besides, I only HAVE around 20 cases of bottles to fill, and if
>> I get more the administrative penalty of using our laundry room wall as
>> a beer storage unit will become, um, "severe".
>>
>> In other words, before I reach that point I will have to acknowledge
>> that I've passed a critical scaling threshold and upgrade everything,
>> and will probably need improved infrastructure in the form of a
>> seriously air-conditioned and darkened corner of the garage devoted to
>> just the brew-cluster, or the whole project might get kicked
>> off-premises by my wife.
>

> One of the great consistencies in our field, and indeed life, is that
> adequate machine room space is always at a premium and unfortunately
> tends to take second place to other concerns during the initial planning
> phases.

Amen, brother.  Seriously, not just in beer-metaphorsville.  If we build
it, then >>surely<< somebody will give us somewhere to put it, don't you
think?  Someplace handy with 30 KW of power and ten tons of AC and a
structurally reinforced floor?

    rgb

> :-)
>
> -b

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu