[Beowulf] 9 traits of the veteran Unix admin

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 10:42:50 PST 2011

"I'm guessing that he [the ubergeek] has figured out how to hotwire init so
that it just forks emacs and skips everything else..." [RGB]

I think essentially they had that: Lisp used to be inefficient (as, aimed at
the way logicians think, not at the way machines think) on general purpose
hardware like the PDP, so in the 70's Lisp workstations were developed (at
MIT, the same time by the same people as emacs, which wasn't ported to unix
until 81, the year I learned C & vi). When in the early 90's I debated with
one of the Unix Haters, Judy Anderson (of Stanford and PARC), I asked, "OK,
so what is better than Unix?" and was surprised: "nothing that isn't
proprietary" (their beloved lisp workstations). So who was it that quipped,
"Emacs would be a great operating system if only it had a decent editor"?
For them, the editor, the language, and the firmware were all each other.

It's all good. You can be close to the machine (C), the logician (Lisp), the
engineer (fortran). You can express yourself with long sentences from a
small alphabet/vocabulary (assembler, symbolic logic) or short sentences
from a large vocabulary (APL, differential topology); use tools that do one
job well (vi) or that are mutable into anything as needed (emacs). It's all
good. We all have preferences, we are all finite, and different needs are
served.

In the Religion Wars there is imbalance between "Berkely, Bell, Unix, vi, C"
versus "Stanford, MIT, emacs, Lisp". Really we need a "GNU FOSS Sourceforge
Red Hat" OS that integrates with emacs and Lisp, so we can all make the
choice for ourselves. "Microsoft SCO Adobe Visual Studio Flash" wont' do it
for us :-)

Peter