[Beowulf] Advice on 4 CPU node configurations

Craig Tierney Craig.Tierney at noaa.gov
Mon Feb 7 08:31:21 PST 2011

On 2/7/11 8:10 AM, Robert Horton wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 09:45 +0000, Hearns, John wrote:
>> Also look at ScaleMP and Numascale
>> Here's a damn good article from Doug Eadline:
>> http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7947
>>
>> I must admit though I don't know how far a budget of 30K takes you
>> there!
>
> My understanding is that the Numascale cards cost "a bit more" than IB
> cards but you don't need a switch (it's a 3D taurus I think) so it would
> be worth looking into.
>
> Rob

Numascale was born out of the Dolphinics Interconnect.  The interconnect
already provided cach-coherent global shared memory, so they worked on making
it work at the node level.  The unique feature of this card is that it never
required a switch, and the topology was a Torus.  You could buy 2D or 3D
versions.  The maximum scale back then was 12 nodes in a dimension.  How
this works out with Numascale, I don't know.

I think evaluation systems are out in the wild and the are supposedly
really close to having something for sale.

Craig