[Beowulf] Dutch Airco

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 1 23:10:27 PST 2011

Hey all, I live in The Netherlands, so no surprise, solving the
cooling in a barn for a small cluster i intend to solve by blowing
some air to outside.

Now the small cluster will be a few kilowatt only, so i wonder how
much air i need to blow in and out of the room to outside.

As this is a cluster for my chessprogram and it maybe 1 day a year
reaches 30C outside, we don't have to worry about outside temperature
too much,
as i can switch off the cluster when necessary that single lucky day
a year. If it's uptime 99% of the time this cluster i'm more than happy.

Majority of the year it's underneath 18C. Maybe a day or 60 a year it
might be above 18C and maybe 7 days it is above 25C outside.

I wouldn't have the cash to buy a real airconditioning for the
cluster anyway, as that would increase power usage too much, so
intend to solve it Dutch style.

Interesting is to have a function or table that plots outside
temperature and number of kilowatts used, starting with 1, 1.5, 2,
2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5 ,5, 5.5 , 6
kilowatts. For sure cluster won't be above 6 kilowatt.

First few weeks 1 kilowatt then it will be 2 kilowatt and i doubt
it'll reach 4 kilowatt.

Which CFM do i need to have to blow outside hot air and suck inside
cold air, to get to what i want?

Thanks in advance anyone answerring the question.

Kind Regards,
Vincent