[Beowulf] Grid Engine build machine (was: multi-core thread binding enhancement)

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Fri Apr 15 10:49:55 PDT 2011

On 04/15/2011 01:40 PM, Chi Chan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Prentice Bisbal <prentice at ias.edu> wrote:
>> I agree, but I think that if you can get your hands on an actual RHEL
>> image, that's what you should use, as long as you already have access to
>> it.
>
> Or just use Oracle Linux, it is free to download and distribute, and
> can be used in production:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/linux/competitive-335546.html
> http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/027617.pdf
>
> From my experience, Oracle Linux and RHEL are idential, you can
> compile applications on Oracle Linux and ship it to run on RHEL boxes.

I had recommended RHEL just because its the "gold standard" for all
RHEL-derived distros. CentOS and a few others *should* be identical.
However, I don't think Oracle is. Doesn't Oracle make some changes to
optimize it for running Oracle? I'm not sure of that, which is why I'm
asking and not stating.

--
Prentice