[Beowulf] Westmere EX

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 6 19:15:17 PDT 2011

On 4/6/2011 5:39 PM, Mark Hahn wrote:

> shrug.  does anyone have serious experience with real apps on manycore
> machines?  (I'm familiar with SGI boxes, where 80 is fairly ho-hum,
> but they're substantially more exotic/rare/expensive.)

I have a couple 48-core 1U boxes. They can build
gcc and other large packages very quickly.

The scientists who run single process simulations
also like them but they're not real picky about
how long it takes for something to run. They also
generally spend close to no time at all optimizing
anything.

--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support