[Beowulf] GP-GPU experience

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Mon Apr 4 14:54:00 PDT 2011

>> well, for your application, which is quite narrow.
>
> Which is about any relevant domain where massive computation takes place.

you are given to hyperbole.  the massive domains I'm thinking of
are cosmology and explicit quantum condensed-matter calculations.
the experts in those fields I talk to both do use massive computation
and do not expect much benefit from GPUs.

> The number of algorithms that really profit bigtime from a lot of RAM, in
> some cases you can also
> replace by massive computation and a tad of memory, the cases where that
> cannot be the case
> are very rare.

no.  you are equating "uses lots of ram" with "uses memoization".

> yet majority of HPC calculations, especially if we add company codes there,
> the simulators and the oil,
> gas, car and aviation industry.

jeez.
nevermind I said anything.  I'd forgotten about your style.