[Beowulf] A sea of wimpy cores

Jeff Johnson jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com
Mon Sep 20 11:17:07 PDT 2010

  In most AMD platforms you can down clock memory speed in the BIOS under:
BIOS_Setup->Advanced->Chipset->Northbridge->DRAM Timing
Set "Memclock Mode" to "Manual" instead of "Auto" and then set the
"Memclock Value" the desired speed in Mhz.

On 9/20/10 10:47 AM, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> I'm sure that some BIOSes have that kind of feature, but none of the
> ones that I'm currently using do.
>
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 08:06:39AM +0200, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
>> Greg correct me if im wrong but cant you put in the memory which is
>> compatible with the system and slow the memory bus down via the bios?
>>

>>> * On x86, it's not hard to slow down the memory system by reducing the
>>> # of channels, putting in slow memory, or adding more devices such
>>> that the bus slows down. And sometimes it's possible to get the same
>>> cpu with ddr2 and ddr3.
>>>

>> --
>> Jonathan Aquilina

Jeff Johnson
Manager
Aeon Computing

jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com
www.aeoncomputing.com
t: 858-412-3810 x101   f: 858-412-3845
m: 619-204-9061

4905 Morena Boulevard, Suite 1313 - San Diego, CA 92117