[Beowulf] SATA L shaped cable terminology question

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Mon Mar 8 12:28:09 PST 2010

SATA cables may be purchased with an L shaped connector.  I just looked
at 10 of them and they were all like this when looking into the open end
of the angled connector (ASCII art):

  +-------------------+
  |                   |
  |  --------------+  |
  |                |  |
  +------+    +-------+
         |    |
         |    |
         |    |
         |    |

There are some cables out there labeled as "left angle" cables.  SOME of
those have associated pictures like the one above, and others like the
one below:

  +-------------------+
  |  |                |
  |  +-------------+  |
  |                   |
  +------+    +-------+
         |    |
         |    |
         |    |
         |    |

The question is, are all cables labeled as "Left angle" supposed to look
like the lower illustration?  (My guess is that this is the case and the
illustrations which aren't like this are erroneously from the "right
angle" variant of the cable.)

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu