[Beowulf] Turboboost/IDA on Nehalem

George Wm Turner turnerg at indiana.edu
Sat Jun 19 09:37:48 PDT 2010

cat /proc/cpuinfo
Look for a clock rate higher then the chip's rated clock speed.
You must have cpuspeed enabled (re: redhat:  service cpuspeed start)

On multi core chips, turbomode comes into play when the chip is lighty
loaded and the idle cores can be clocked down and that power divereted
to the core(s) actually running code.  On an idle system,  you may
notice that all the cpus in /proc/cpuinfo" say they're running at the
higher clock speeds;  it's an illusion; they ain't doin' nuttin.

george wm turner
high performance systems
812 855 5156