[Beowulf] dollars-per-teraflop : any lists like the Top500?

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Tue Jul 6 12:49:54 PDT 2010

I have been predisposed so I missed the beginning of this
thread (seems like a good thing)

In any case, years ago there was some people suggesting that
both cost and power be added to the Top500 results.

The cost issue was just as contentious as it is now.
As I recall, the discussion always came down
to determining the true cost to purchase/install a production
cluster vs the cost to run HPL.

Things like actual hardware cost, staging cost (HW and SW),
optimization cost, power/cooling are too variable to really
track without a lot of effort (i.e. how do you account for
a turn-key cluster vs. student built) The composite and
piecemeal nature of clusters makes these types of
numbers difficult to determine.

As an aside, the Top500 is a great thing and I believe it
is used for things for which it was never intended.
It is after all one performance data point which has little
relevance to the codes most people run or the number of cores
most people use.

--
Doug

--