[Beowulf] Re: GPU Beowulf Clusters

Patrick LeGresley plegresl at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 11:45:49 PST 2010

I've found this presentation from John Stone at SC09 to be a very
good comparison of CUDA versus OpenCL performance on real code:

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/gpu/files/openclbof_stone2009.pdf

My take away from this presentation, which matches my personal
experience comparing the two, is that CUDA and OpenCL performance on
NVIDIA hardware are within a few percent.  Trying to use the same
source code on hardware from different vendors obviously has the
expected performance pitfalls.

The biggest thing to watch out for may be performance regressions
from one release of CUDA to the next, and even among slightly
different driver versions.  You can see an example of this from John
on slide 17.

Cheers,

Patrick