[Beowulf] hardware RAID versus mdadm versus LVM-striping

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Jan 19 06:43:11 PST 2010

Joe Landman wrote:

>   This I cannot tell you, as I don't have a comprehensive list of what
> uses what driver.  I'd suggest looking at what drivers it loads for
> disks when it comes up.  If dmraid comes up *and* enumerates devices,
> you have a strong probability that it is a fake-raid.  This is not to
> say dmraid is bad.  Again, its the underlying driver or chipset that we
> often run into problems with.

I should also point out that the presence of dmraid and device
enumeration is still not sufficient for determining whether something is
or is not a fake-raid.  To wit

root at crunch:~# df -h /data
/dev/mapper/2001b4d2306a71820-part1
                       4.6T  2.4T  2.2T  53% /data

and /data is on a most assuredly a hardware accelerated RAID.  There
were some additional tools I installed with the distribution which also
installed device-mapper.  I could turn it off, but then I have some
other bits to work around.  It's easier to leave it on.

FWIW:  I am no fan of device mapper (the dm part of dmraid).  It has
caused us some serious grief in the past (serious grief == data
lossage).  Its not in a league with things like rieserfs, ext2, NTFS,
and whatnot ...

When device mapper works correctly (as above) it works fine.  A
tautology/Yogi-Berra-ism for sure.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO