[Beowulf] hardware RAID versus mdadm versus LVM-striping

Gerald Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Jan 17 20:24:51 PST 2010

Hardware RAID, in my experience, works well with most LSI controllers
(that haven't been modified to become Dell PERC controllers) and 3Ware
controllers.  I've had pretty grim results with most others.  A
colleague and I had great initial results with several ARECA
controllers, but then they lost their minds and did strange things to
our RAID'd volumes.  Different Linux distro's and no operator
intervention at the times of failure, either.

Hardware RAID should use a real onboard controller and be real hardware
RAID.  A lot of 'em use a "driver" which relies on the OS to actually do
the RAID but with some proprietary bits that I don't know and can't see
when they break.  In this case I'd rather use MD s/w RAID.  That said,
if I can use a current 3Ware or LSI card (note caveat above; I've not
had good performance with any PERC's) I'd rather do hardware RAID for
simplicity and recoverability.

But, you have to do your own due diligence and know your hardware.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983