[Beowulf] running the Linpak -HPL benchmark.

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 15:40:27 PST 2010

I've never had a cluster large enough to matter but I was thinking of
running the Linpak-HPL benchmark (from the top500 site) just out of
curiosity of knowing my actual teraflops. For one, it would tell me
how much my Rmax/Rpeak so that I know how non-optimal my network and
other infrastructure was.

Question: How difficult it is getting that benchmark to run? Was eager
to know of opinions from sys-admins who've "been there, done that".
 If it was a horrendously difficult process I might just skip it. Some
their tuning sections were scary.

Are there any good pointers on tuning parameter selection or ready
made makefiles? I had a Intel Nehalem processor and a regular Gigabit
network.

--
Rahul