[Beowulf] Q: IB message rate & large core counts (per node)?

Gilad Shainer Shainer at mellanox.com
Tue Feb 23 14:24:09 PST 2010

>    On a similar note, does a dual-port card provide an increase in
> on-card processing, or 'just' another link?  (The increased bandwidth
is
> certainly nice, even in a flat switched network, I'm sure!)

Today one port IB (assuming QDR) can saturate the PCIe Gen2 interface
that is supported. Using 2 ports can give you high availability or fail
over. Some folks are using it to increase the message rate as well, but
I have not seen numbers to confirm. Other folks are using dual one-port
adapters, and this gives them 2x the BW.

Gilad