[Beowulf] Visualization toolkit to monitor scheduler performance

Brian D. Ropers-Huilman brian.ropers.huilman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 07:25:34 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 15:56, Rahul Nabar <rpnabar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any generic "scheduler visualization" tools out there?

We've been developing in-house tools for this (both representing usage
overall, but recently focusing on a scheduler view) for a while. We
have a set of command-line tools to produce reports and graphs. Here's
one graph for a snapshot of a view for the month of December on one of
our clusters with 256 nodes and 2048 cores:

http://www.msi.umn.edu/~bropers/calhoun_december.png

The top is each job as it fits on the various nodes and time and the
bottom is utilization.

We have recently added the ability to show these graphs per user or
group with their jobs highlighted and the rest dimmed and we've also
added queue wait, number of jobs, and several other graphs, similar to
the utilization, at the bottom:

http://www.msi.umn.edu/~bropers/group_calhoun_jan2010.png

We run torque with Moab and this is a result of parsing the torque
logs. We are still going through and validating the code and adding
features and may be at a point, somewhere in the future, where we'd be
comfortable releasing it.

If you want to discuss more, please contact me off-list.

--
Brian D. Ropers-Huilman, Director
Systems Administration and Technical Operations