[Beowulf] Third-party drives not permitted on new Dell servers?

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Tue Feb 16 05:34:46 PST 2010

> But what if the customer tells you, ship me your system without a
> drive, I'll
> put whatever I want in there  so you are not my point of contact for
> failing
> drives but you say, no, I won't allow them in my system and I won't
> even sell
> you a replacement of what I do allow in the system?

I have been in a situation like this, but not with disks.
Company X sells them a system, integrates it on site. However hardware
maintenance
SHOULD come from Company Y which is the supplier of the hardware.
Customers never see it that way, and Company X gets the phone calls and
is expected
to book service calls, take hardware apart and run tests on behalf of
Company Y.
That's why people like Joe are very wary of letting customers have a
free-for-all in
choosing $high-performance-component to save a few dollars.

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.