[Beowulf] Visualization toolkit to monitor scheduler performance

Huw Lynes lynesh at Cardiff.ac.uk
Tue Feb 16 03:31:26 PST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 17:10 -0600, Rahul Nabar wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 5:02 PM, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > That's a good question.
> >
> > PBS are promoting PBS Analytics http://www.pbsgridworks.com/Product.aspx?id=7
> > and SGE has Arco http://wikis.sun.com/display/GridEngine/Installing+ARCo
>
> Too bad they both seem "paid". I was hoping to find something in the
> "free" domain. I doubt I can justify the $$ for a scheduler-visualizer
> especially if (like most things in the scheduling universe) the
> licenses tend to be stubbornly per-core. The per-core licensing has
> been the single biggest factor that prevents me from even evaluating
> out any of the "paid" schedulers.

We are also looking at this area. We've looked at PBS Analytics
(expensive for extra licenses on top of our existing PBSPro) and Cluster
Resources MOAB Access Portal (expensive, with a problematic
authentication model).

Uni Dusseldorf have an in-house tool called myJAM which we are hoping to
test in the near future.

The very first script I wrote when we took delivery of our PBSPro
cluster was a tool to output a summary of node use. It will probably
work fine on Torque too. It's not a GUI, but at least it's something.

http://webdocs.arcca.cf.ac.uk/external/scripts/qstate

Thanks,
Huw

--
Huw Lynes                       | Advanced Research Computing
HEC Sysadmin                    | Cardiff University
                                | Redwood Building,
Tel: +44 (0) 29208 70626        | King Edward VII Avenue, CF10 3NB