[Beowulf] Low cost IB cards

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Sat Feb 6 18:41:22 PST 2010

> Last I checked, OFED isn't supported by Fedora.  Understand, Fedora *is* a
> rapidly moving target.

fedora is great for desktops and other less "entangled" machines;
centos is more appropriate for the latter.  I have no opinion about
debian derivatives except that they seem redundant and often come with
unwelcome and unwarranted attitude...

> work on it.  Right now I am struggling with their ideology ... nouveau versus
> Nvidia.  I want to remove the former and install the latter.  And it ain't
> easy.

it _is_ easy with akmods.  until vendors do what it takes for open-source
drivers, getting along with binary blobs is good.  as far as I can see,
akmods are the right way to do it: just recompile the shim when necessary.

regards, mark hahn.