[Beowulf] Cluster Metrics? (Upper management view)

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 11:26:51 PDT 2010

I think measuring a clusters success based on the number of jobs run
or cpu's used is a bad measure of true success.  I would be more
inclined to consider a cluster a success by speaking with the people
who use it and find out not only whether they can use it effectively
and/or what new science having cluster is being enabled by them.

then only thing i find most of the below metrics overly useful is
figuring out whether or not we need a bigger cluster.  which i guess
is a form of measurable success, but not one in which i would consider
the "cluster" to be a success.  it could just be dopes running
thousands of "/bin/hostname" jobs trying to figure out how to use the
cluster

I also think you need to ask the "business" people what measure they
would consider a cluster as a worthwhile investment, it doesn't sound
as if you have that from your email.