[Beowulf] 96 cores in silent and small enclosure

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Tue Apr 13 08:38:09 PDT 2010

> warranty term on most computers is no greater than a year, a 2 year design
> life might be reasonable.

hard to tell exactly what actuarial voodoo they do.  I noticed AMD's
cpus are waranteed for 3 years.  whether they shave the tolerances
by recognizing that lots of cpus are used for shorter lives, or at
low duty cycle, we can only guess.  I suspect companies are pretty
conservative when evaluating this kind of risk, as loss of reputation
is considered a very high cost.  (or rather the gaining of a bad rep.)