[Beowulf] recommendation on crash cart for a cluster room: full cluster KVM is not an option I suppose?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Sep 30 07:20:18 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 08:58:22AM -0500, Rahul Nabar wrote:

> > By the way, which hardware do you use?
>
> Dell in the past. This time around still comparing vendors.

Are you happy with the IPMI on Supermicro? I've been unable to
personally test a KVM + remote media IPMI from them, especially
the one integrated into their newer motherboards. I was quite
happy with Sun's eLOM. Less happy with HP and Dell (and Fujitsu-Siemens)
which require extra licenses to unlock anything above baseline
capability IPMI (oh, and don't get the started on them not selling
empty drive caddies).