[Beowulf] large scratch space on cluster

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Wed Sep 30 01:24:31 PDT 2009

Actually, it is not GAMESS which is causing the problem but Molpro. The
reason
why it needs that much space is simply the size of the molecule and the
functional ( CCSD(T) ). Both are not in favour of a fast job with little

scratch space. I don't think there is much I can do in terms of the
program
side. If I want to run the job, I need more scratch space.

Yes, but do these scratch files have to be on a central disk server,
or is it possible to have them local to the nodes?
If local, you have a much easier problem.

I can say that $VENDOR put in one very whizzy cluster which had four
fast SCSI drives striped
together for local scratch storage, for running a finite element code.
It went like gangbusters.

In your case, you could either put pairs of striped drives in each
compute node.

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.