[Beowulf] Re: What is best OS for GRID or clusters?

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 15:42:51 PDT 2009

> shorter one). I have invested a lot of time in *nix over the years, and have
> decided to my satisfaction that Linux is the best fit for my scientific
> efforts.

Linux has worked great for us for 10+ years in various flavors. My
apps are mainly computational Chemistry.

> Further (or better|worse, depending on outlook), I prefer CentOS
> these days for stability.  You see, I've isolated clusters that have been

We've used CentOS. Great. No problems. Also toyed with Red Hat
Enterprise in the past. Good too but the packages tend to be older.
Some would argue that's the point so that one gets a stable system but
sometimes it is irritating. Also you need to pay for the Licenses.
I've had an OK experience with Fedora too. But some say this is too
"unstable" for mainline HPC usage.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Rahul