[Beowulf] posting bonnie++ stats from our cluster: any comments about my I/O performance stats?

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 09:12:08 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Jeff Layton <laytonjb at att.net> wrote:

>I don't want to take a public list to pick a fight but I don't want Rahul to
>bad mouth me, my reputation, and the company I work for without some
>sort or rebuttal.

Jeff:

I'm sorry that you take this as bad mouthing you. I sincerely
apologize as this wasn't the intention at all. I am speaking with
several vendors and my comments weren't directed at you.  It is true
though that we have been a major purchaser of Dell systems. Sometimes
we are happy and sometimes we are not . And this goes to all vendors.

Now there is one thing (in hindsight) that I think *I am* guilty of:
I've been posting a lot of questions on the list. Many of you guys are
very well paid professionals and I ought not to be abusing your time
for free. I apologize if I have.

On the other hand let me make my position clearer:  Buying a good
system for my institution is a goal, sure. But a lot of this
benchmarking that I do here is from a purely scientific curiosity I
have in understanding what I am buying or working with. Building,
selling, or maintaining Beowulf systems is *not* my primary
occupation. But  all through my graduate student stint I've worked on
these and I cannot help that I have a curiosity for this stuff.

Clusters, linux and Beowulf and all the related stuff is fascinating.
I just want to know more about the systems I am using. I am willing to
do my homework but sometimes post to get opinions from other experts
that know better. Of course, I do realize that this is free advice
from peers and I have no expectation of more.

Again, I apologize if I hurt any feelings. That wasn't my intention at all.

--
Rahul