[Beowulf] recommendations for a good ethernet switch for connecting ~300 compute nodes

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 15:56:43 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Greg Kurtzer<gmkurtzer at gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the comments Greg!

> If you were using Perceus.....

No. I've never used Perceus before and although it sounds interesting
this seems like a bad time to try something new!

> The file system needs to be built to handle the load of the apps. 300
> nodes means you can go from the low end (Linux RAID and NFS) to a
> higher end NFS solution, or upper end of a parallel file system or
> maybe even one of each (NFS and parallel) as they solve some different
> requirements.

What exactly do you mean by a "parallel" file system? Something like
GPFS? That's IBM proprietory though isn't it? On the other hand NFS
seems pretty archaic. I've seen quite a few installations use Lustre.
I am planning to play with that. Something in the OpenSource world to
keep costs down.

--
Rahul