[Beowulf] petabyte for $117k

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Sep 1 09:23:56 PDT 2009

Jeff Layton wrote:
> I saw that as well (storagemojo blog). Looks interesting but I need to
> read the pdf since there are some pieces I'm missing.
>
> Cool concept. There are some others like it as well - low performance
> storage but lots of capacity ("cheap and deep"). I think it can make
> alot of sense in my situations (just my 2 cents).

Cool!  We've been doing something like this (concept) for a while with
Delta-V (http://scalableinformatics.com/delta-v), though we add higher
performance layers atop this, and a number of automation bits, not to
mention iSCSI, SRP, AoE, iSER, ..., NFS/SMB/...

They go the minimal price route on everything.  Desktop drives, non-ecc
memory, desktop motherboard, etc.  Low performance, but probably good
for cold data of large size.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO