[Beowulf] Any industry-standards that allow automated BIOS modifications and dumping? IPMI cannot do it, can it?

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 18:26:46 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 11:31 PM, Don Holmgren <djholm at fnal.gov> wrote:

> You need to modify /etc/inittab to add a getty for your serial
> line (to give you a login prompt).
>
> If in the BIOS you redirected COMn, the corresponding Linux serial
> port is ttyS(n-1).  Add this line to inittab to to run agetty on COM1, baud
> rate 115200:
>
> S0:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS0 115200
>
> or, for COM2, baud rate 19200:
>
> S1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS1 19200

Thanks to Don's config instructions I finally got SOL working! It took
a while before I stumbled upon the help menu which said that SOL won't
work over COM1. I had to use COM2.

It'll even allow me to reach the BIOS *iff* I get the timing
correctly. Of course on a reboot it goes down the instant eth0 gets
pulled down.

--
Rahul