[Beowulf] Mature open source hierarchical storage management

Carl Thomas working at surfingllama.com
Thu Oct 22 22:12:11 PDT 2009

HI all,
We are currently in the midst of planning a major refresh of our existing
HPC cluster.
It is expected that our storage will consist of a combination of fast fibre
channel and SATA based disk and we would like to implement a system whereby
user files are automatically migrated to and from slow storage depending on
frequency of usage. Initial investigations seem to indicate that larger
commercial hierarchical storage management systems vastly exceed our budget.

Is there any mature open source alternatives out there? How are other
organisations dealing with transparently presenting different tiers of
storage to non technical scientists?

Cheers,

Carl.