[Beowulf] Ahoy shipmates

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Oct 13 01:42:28 PDT 2009

On 12 Oct 2009, at 9:33 pm, Marian Marinov wrote:

> I don't know about the wave power but the cooling power of the ocean
> or sea
> water is pretty good idea to look at.

Isn't sea water fairly corrosive?  You get severe electrolytic
corrosion problems on boats, hence the big lump of zinc on a yacht's
propshaft...

> And add to that the Container based DC designs, you can have a very
> efficient
> Underwater DC. The only problem will be physically accessing the DC.
> Or you
> can simply build your DC near the shore and have pipes directly to the
> ocean/sea(however this approach will not be as effective as an
> underwater DC.

You can combine this with what they used to do at Fawley oil-fired
power station on the side of the Solent - the warmed seawater
encouraged oyster growth, so there were commercial oyster beds around
the outlet.

Tim