[Beowulf] RAID for home beowulf

Nifty Tom Mitchell niftyompi at niftyegg.com
Sun Oct 11 13:29:29 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 12:02:11PM +0200, Tomislav Maric wrote:
> Nifty Tom Mitchell wrote:
> >>>

> > An interesting perspective is to have a cluster built
> > on the same distro as your desktop because....
>
> OK, I guess then Ubuntu will suffice for a 12 node Cluster. :) Anyway,
> I'll try it and see. Thanks!

I think it will work just fine for you.

As you structure thiings make it clear in your mind where important data
lives. Also, that compute nodes commonly do not contain data long term and that in
most cluster admin environments they get re-imaged at the drop of a hat
and upgraded as a group so all the nodes in a cluster always "look the same"
to your programs.

N.B. This is not strictly true when using a cluster based
file system.  The common practice of reimaging nodes all
the same except the IP address will have to also address
the distributed FS components.

And, Perhaps overkill for a personal cluster.
While youd are tinkering and researching look at the ROCKS solution to
clustering.  ROCKS is best described as a management package that lives
on top of RHEL or CentOS.   It includes all the necessary components
for a larger (midsized) central managed multi user MPI compute cluster,
user management, batch system, kickstart, management database etc.
If you download it and CentOS then deploy it on your compute nodes for
a test drive you may learn a bit about all the moving parts needed to
manage a midsized cluster.  Their solution has a very specific set of
goals and if they match your needs it is way cool.  If not it is
not flexible and might be painful.  Do download the documentation to scan.

Also bookmark "http://www.clustermonkey.net/"!

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?