[Beowulf] RAID for home beowulf

Tomislav Maric tomislav.maric at gmx.com
Sun Oct 4 09:42:26 PDT 2009

John Hearns wrote:
> 2009/10/4 Tomislav Maric <tomislav.maric at gmx.com>:
>> Yes, definitely, I'm removing the results after postprocessing, and I'm
>> the only user. :)
>
> Aha. I see....  Just wait for those other users to come along. will
> they remove the files immediately after postprocessing? Hmmm??? My
> advice - buy a cattle prod.
>
> Seriously though, I think you have the deletion of files in your
> scripts. Just make sure everyone else uses the scripts.
> How about though if you want to re-run a case?

I've told you in another response: I'll definitely expand the storage,
but right now I'm just concerned at making the machine work properly. :)
 If there will ever be more users, then I'll have to expand the storage.
In the mean time I have the time for exploring parallel file systems and
similar stuff to speed up the IO. :)

For my own use: I have pyFoam scripts that clear the unnecessary result
data while keeping the input for the simulations intact. :) Anyway, I'll
worry about this one when I come to it.

Thank you very much for the advice, I know that the storage operation is
going to change the way the machine will work depending on the way it's
used.