[Beowulf] recommendation on crash cart for a cluster room: full cluster KVM is not an option I suppose?

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Sat Oct 3 09:53:19 PDT 2009

Rahul Nabar wrote:
> True. That's a useful feature. But that "could" be done by sending
> "magic packets" to a eth card as well, right? I say "can" because I
> don't have that running on all my servers but had toyed with that on
> some. I guess, just many ways of doing the same thing.

You could use Wake-on-LAN to turn a system on, but I don't think you can
reset or power off the system. What ever you use should give you some
authentication/authorization and hopefully encryption so that you don't
have just anyone rebooting systems. IPMI 1.5+ will do this, but
Wake-on-LAN does not.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/