[Beowulf] CentOS plus Fedora kernel?

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Wed Nov 25 20:01:22 PST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 01:14:01PM -0700, Andrew Shewmaker wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:37:01PM +0100, Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> >
> In case you were considering the 2.6.25 kernel that shipped with Fedora 9,
> I recommend against it.  I know there have been studies showing that it is
> a nice kernel with regard to low interrupt noise, but I have regularly seen it
> lock up while running MPI apps.  2.6.27 hasn't had the same issue, but we
> have seen 10-20% regression in IP network performance.

Hi,
The 2.6.27 kernel had a lot of new networking code in there. And some of the
network performance issues carry forward into the 2.6.28 kernel. I would
suggest you go to the 2.6.29 kernel. BTW, centos 5 runs a modified ext3
filesystem. So, that is an issue you'll need to come to terms with in moving
to other kernels. FYI, fedora core 12 runs the 2.6.31 kernel.

Good luck with it.
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer