[Beowulf] CentOS plus Fedora kernel?

Andrew Shewmaker agshew at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 10:35:02 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:
> For reasons complicated to explain, I want to run a Fedora kernel on
> CentOS 5. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or pointers to webpages
> for people who've done this?

I'm interested in this sort of thing too.  I haven't taken the latest
Fedora 12 kernel and put it on a RHEL 5 distro yet, but I have
backported the spec file to Fedora 9.  Older distros don't checksum
the rpms the same way, so the first step is to unpack it with rpm2cpio
and then recreate the src rpm.  I used vimdiff between the Fedora 12
spec file and a previous Fedora 9 kernel's spec file, and changed
things like the list of directories included in the header subpackage.

I also remember updating grubby and mkinitrd packages, but I don't
recall if that ended up being totally necessary.

If I get this done for a RHEL5 distro, then I'll let you know.
Likewise, if you get it done, then I'd like to try it.

--
Andrew Shewmaker