[Beowulf] CentOS plus Fedora kernel?

Bogdan Costescu bcostescu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 03:37:01 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:35 AM, Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:
> For reasons complicated to explain, I want to run a Fedora kernel on
> CentOS 5. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or pointers to webpages
> for people who've done this?

A much newer kernel from Fedora usually requires newer utils as well
and this is where it gets hairy. A recent Fedora kernel SRPM probably
would not even compile on CentOS 5 (haven't tried lately) and a binary
kernel RPM downloaded from a Fedora mirror will certainly not install
(but I guess that you've tried that already ;-)). You can try forcing
the installation (rpm --nodeps) and watch what breaks - chances are
that at least basic functionality will remain; you can also try
installing all the dependencies, but at that point you are probably
running Fedora with only high-level user apps from CentOS; or
something in between where you install only the Fedora kernel and the
required few dependencies for the features you are interested in and
hope that the rest will remain in some functional form.

What do you need from the Fedora kernel ? And why not running the
newly released Fedora 12 which will be the base for CentOS 6 anyway
shortly ? (for a vague definition of shortly ;-))

Bogdan