[Beowulf] CentOS plus Fedora kernel?

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 24 13:40:11 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 04:35:34PM -0800, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> For reasons complicated to explain, I want to run a Fedora kernel on
> CentOS 5. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or pointers to webpages
> for people who've done this?
>
> -- greg
>
> p.s. missed you guys at SC, I was stuck racking 500 servers...
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/skrenta/sets/72157622738924345/

I hesitate to say this, because I'm talking to someone whose
reputation is stellar and because my own biases may show slightly :)

	Don't - under any circumstances whatever - use Fedora on a
production system or a system on which you want to do real work.

If you _MUST_ do it - because, for example, your hardware is too new and
not yet supported under the Red Hat Enterprise Linux / Centos 5.4
kernel - 2.6.18-164* if I recall correctly - then it _may_ work but it
WILL cause you some degree of instability, interesting debugging
interaction problems and some hours/days of frustration.

Red Hat 5 was based on FC6 or Fedora 8 IIRC. Both now unavailable on the
main mirrors.

Fedora 9 has 2.6.25 which is quite a jump. It might be worth getting the
source RPMs and building the kernels from each of 10,11,12 but on a
CentOS machine.

RPMForge doesn't seem to have much to help, here :(

All best,

AndyC