[Beowulf] MPI_Isend/Irecv failure for IB and large message sizes

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon Nov 16 13:55:51 PST 2009

Hi Martin

We didn't know which compiler you used.
So what Michael sent you ("mmodel=memory_model")
is the Intel compiler flag syntax.
(PGI uses the same syntax, IIRR.)

Gcc/gfortran use "-mcmodel=memory_model" for x86_64 architecture.
I only used this with Intel ifort, hence I am not sure,
but "medium" should work fine for large data/not-so-large program
in gcc/gfortran.
The "large" model doesn't seem to be implemented by gcc (4.1.2)
anyway.
(Maybe it is there in newer gcc versions.)
The darn thing is that gcc says "medium" doesn't support building
shared libraries,
hence you may need to build OpenMPI static libraries instead,
I would guess.
(Again, check this if you have a newer gcc version.)
Here's an excerpt of my gcc (4.1.2) man page:

        -mcmodel=small
             Generate code for the small code model: the program and its
symbols must be linked in the lower 2 GB of the address space.  Pointers
are 64 bits.  Pro-
            grams can be statically or dynamically linked.  This is the
default code model.

        -mcmodel=kernel
            Generate code for the kernel code model.  The kernel runs in
the negative 2 GB of the address space.  This model has to be used for
Linux kernel code.

        -mcmodel=medium
            Generate code for the medium model: The program is linked in
the lower 2 GB of the address space but symbols can be located anywhere
in the address
            space.  Programs can be statically or dynamically linked,
but building of shared libraries are not supported with the medium model.

        -mcmodel=large
            Generate code for the large model: This model makes no
assumptions about addresses and sizes of sections.  Currently GCC does
not implement this model.

If you are using OpenMPI, "ompi-info -config"
will tell the flags used to compile it.
Mine is 1.3.2 and has no explicit mcmodel flag,
which according to the gcc man page should default to "small".

Are you using 16GB per process or for the whole set of processes?

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa
Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA

Martin Siegert wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:49:23AM -0700, Michael H. Frese wrote:
>> Martin,
>>
>> Could it be that your MPI library was compiled using a small memory model?
>> The 180 million doubles sounds suspiciously close to a 2 GB addressing
>> limit.
>>
>> This issue came up on the list recently under the topic "Fortran Array size
>> question."
>>

>> Mike
>
> I am running MPI applications that use more than 16GB of memory -
> I do not believe that this is the problem. Also -mmodel=large
> does not appear to be a valid argument for gcc under x86_64:
> gcc -DNDEBUG -g -fPIC -mmodel=large   conftest.c  >&5
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mmodel=large"
>
> - Martin
>
>> At 05:43 PM 11/14/2009, Martin Siegert wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running into problems when sending large messages (about
>>> 180000000 doubles) over IB. A fairly trivial example program is attached.
>>>
>>> # mpicc -g sendrecv.c
>>> # mpiexec -machinefile m2 -n 2 ./a.out
>>> id=1: calling irecv ...
>>> id=0: calling isend ...